Autumn Foliage Near Jersey City
One of the best parts of fall is the changing of the leaves. If you’re wondering where the best places are to see autumn foliage, read on. This year, you don’t have to travel far to see beautiful colors. A short road trip past a pumpkin patch or two may be the perfect way to get into the season.
Head West for Autumn Foliage
Leaf peepers agree that a great route to see the autumn colors is to drive west on interstates 280 and 80. Here are some of the best destinations:
- Stokes State Forest, Branchville. Enjoy hiking, picnic areas and scenic overlooks from Sunrise Mountain along the Appalachian Trail. You’re sure to get some great photo opportunities.
- Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area, Hardwick Township. This area has 70,000 acres of beautiful scenery along the Delaware River. Watch the autumn foliage against a backdrop of waterfalls and inviting trails.
- Take a train ride towards Morristown. Take the PATH to the Penn Station, then head west. On the way you can enjoy the changing leaves and plan a day trip. Check out Summit’s Fall Festival on October 22.
South of Jersey City
Explore some of the many southern New Jersey destinations for autumn day trips:
- Cheesequake State Park, Matawan. Jersey City residents are only about 40 minutes from these well-maintained trails with scenic views. Visitors say it’s an ideal spot for families because the trails range from easy to moderate.
- Rancocas State Park, Hainesport. Hike on the natural trails as you watch the leaves or take a trip to the nature center. The Rancocas creek provides an additional feature and hikers love the peace and quiet of this perfect fall destination.
- Penn State Forest - Oswego Lake, Chatsworth. This beautiful state forest offers autumn foliage, many trails and picnic areas.
Northern Day Trips
The Hudson Valley is close enough for a day or weekend visit, yet as inspiring as an exotic trip. What’s great about autumn foliage excursions is that the journey is often as beautiful as the destination. Try out these locations this year:
- Bear Mountain State Park, Bear Mountain NY. This park has something for everyone, and it shines in the fall with beautiful colors. Explore the hiking and biking trails and take photos from the top of the mountain overlooking the Hudson River. You can even bring your dog on a leash for added fun.
- Shawangunk Mountains, Gardiner NY. While these mountains begin in New Jersey, they stretch as far north as the Mohonk Preserve. This area around New Paltz offers spectacular views of changing leaves each year. You’ll also enjoy small town eateries, pubs and shops along the way.
Once again, it’s plain to see that Jersey City is the perfect place to live. Where else can you enjoy city living with such close access to the peace and quiet of nature? This fall, bring a friend or the whole family around the area to see the changing of the leaves. Stop off for a mug of warm cider and a pumpkin, and you’ll be in full autumn mode.