The Perfect Dog Day in Jersey City
Jersey City residents love their dogs. And to show that love, they want to keep them healthy and happy. During the summer, that means finding the best dog friendly spots in town and keeping dogs safe from ticks. This year, Liberty Harbor is celebrating our furry friends for the 2nd Annual Dog Days of Summer Festival on Saturday July 21. But the fun doesn’t have to be contained in one day. The following are ideas from our biggest canine fans to give your pooch the perfect day -- any time you choose.
Dog Friendly Ways to Start the Day
Even the laziest - er, most relaxed dogs love a good walk in the morning. But besides a morning constitutional, how can you begin your dog-centric day? You can explain the itinerary all you want, but Fido prefers to see plans in action. Beginning with food, of course…
- Homemade breakfast - Dog owners who have a little time to experiment with canine cuisine will love these vet-approved recipes. Is your cooking a little bland? Enhance the flavor with some of Yum Yum Puppy’s all natural dog food seasoning.
- Morning dog park visit - First, treat your pup to a new collar and leash from Double Dutch pet products. Next, upgrade your morning walk with a visit to one of Jersey City’s dog parks instead. Lincoln Park dog run is the perfect place to stretch all four legs in a game of tennis ball catch, or a rest under some shady trees. Hamilton Park has two separate dog runs to keep the big dudes and the little dudes separate.
- Splash time - Swimming is much fun, dogs don’t know it’s exercise! Head over to Jersey City’s only salt water pool at Unleashed Pet Resort & Spa. You can swim with your dogs during summer months and sign a hesitant pooch up for lessons. Or, pack a picnic lunch bring Fido to one of New Jersey’s dog friendly beaches just a short drive away.
Keeping Cool (and Safe) in the Afternoon
Dogs and people love summertime, but the heat and abundance of ticks are problematic for both species. Here’s how to keep cool on your special dog day afternoon in some of our hottest temps of the year. And as for the ticks, vigilance is key.
- Hit the trails - Begin your afternoon with a hilly hike at Leonard Gordon Park. Or, take a drive to Fairview Farm Wildlife Preserve. But wherever you go, be prepared: Ticks and the diseases they carry, such as Lyme, are on the rise everywhere. Learn about tick prevention from your veterinarian, and know how to find and remove ticks from your pets.
- Beat the heat - We love being outside with our dogs, so remember that most of them are wearing a fur coat at all times. Keep them safe by bringing a portable water bowl wherever you travel, and stay on the lookout for hot pavement. If you can’t find shade, make your own.
- Look good, feel good - Summer fun can lead to dirty paws and a salty coat! Waggy Butts Dog Grooming comes to you in their mobile van. They’ll clean and calm even the most reluctant customers.
- Stop for a bite - Next, head over to Cafe Dolma to rest. Savor a pastry or a sandwich while your pup enjoys the patio and people watching.
A Relaxing Evening
Finally, begin to wind down your fun in the sun day with these more mellow activities. After all, dogs are experts when it comes to taking a breather and putting those paws up.
- Decompress by the water - At Liberty State Park you’ll enjoy the breeze off the water as you and your BFF contemplate the day. Dogs are always welcomed here as long as they’re leashed.
- Get in touch - Back home, give your dog a therapeutic massage. Why massage? Same reasons we love them: to de-stress, ease sore muscles and relieve tension. Another benefit is the additional bonding you’ll share with each other.
- For very good dogs - Most dog owners can’t resist a brand new toy. Dakota Dog Company has everything you need to treat your pal to a new friend or snacks.
- Snooze in style - It’s no news that your dog loves sleeping. So why not treat him or her to a brand new cushiony bed? Hound About Town carries the best dog beds for you to create the perfect day’s end.
Every Dog Has Its Day
Or so they say! It’s easy to make every day special for your dog when you live in pet friendly Jersey City. And it feels good to give back and say thank you to our loyal and steadfast friends. Remember to come out to Liberty Harbor’s Dog Days of Summer festival this Saturday to participate in the fun and activities.