The Best Holiday Events in Jersey City
Thanksgiving kicked off the holiday season and now our dreams of a winter wonderland are in full swing. This year, the Jersey City holiday events will bring you into the holiday season like never before. There are so many ways to get into the spirit with your loved ones. Jersey City is shining brightly with the hustle and bustle and excitement of this very special time of year. Add some of these festive events to your calendar.
Art & Music: Jersey City Holiday Events
Jersey City is always alive with music and diverse cultural influence, and the holidays are no exception. In fact, many of these seasonal events are within walking distance of each other.
- JC Fridays Seasonal Festival: Jersey City’s premiere quarterly arts festival is happening on December 7. Look for a variety of visual art exhibitions, performing arts and live music. What’s even better is that it’s completely free.
- Cantigas Women’s Choir Winter Concert: Come listen to sounds of the season at the 16th annual winter concert “To My Mother, the Rose.” The event will take place on Saturday December 15 at 7:30 PM at St. Paul Lutheran Church. Suggested donation is $20 for adults and $10 for seniors and students.
- Waltz into Winter: On Wednesday, December 19 join us at Liberty Harbor as we learn to dance the wa. Not only is it great exercise, but it’s one of the best ballroom dances to know for weddings or holidays. No partner necessary!
- Jersey City Nutcracker: Join Nimbus Dance Works from December 14-22 for their 9th annual production of The Nutcracker with an urban twist. Adults and children love this adaptation of the holiday classic.
Drawn to the Lights
As the days become shorter, the lights of the holiday season become even more important. Early evening darkness means a magical array of lights and beauty that only this time of year brings. Stop by one of these events to enjoy the magic of lights in December.
- First Fridays Candlelight Shabbat Service: On December 7, come to the United Synagogue of Hoboken for a vibrant evening of music and lights. Welcome Shabbat by candlelight and celebrate Hanukkah on this special night.
- 4th Annual Audubon Park Tree Lighting Ceremony: This is one of the most beautiful Jersey City holiday events around. Also, it’s free and a perfect outing with kids. Mark your calendar for December 10 and enjoy the sights.
Holiday Shopping in Jersey City
This is the time of year when people are most generous, and it’s a great time to shop local. Jersey City has a wealth of unique shops, one-of-a-kind boutiques and artisans. It feels good to support your local community and give the internet a rest for a bit. Check out these ideas for your holiday shopping:
- Happy Holiday Market: Beginning on December 10 the Artist’s Maker Market presents this unique gathering of artists, crafters and artisans. Stop by the Grove Street PATH Plaza to see some of the area’s best handmade and unique gifts.
- Museum Craft Fair: On December 22nd, visit the Hoboken Historical Museum. Its annual Holiday Crafts Fair features the handiwork of local artisans. You’ll enjoy everything from ornaments to jewelry, even historical prints and items made with recycled materials.
- Shop Local this Year: In addition to the holiday markets, Jersey City is full of wonderful shops to support and enjoy this season. Now it’s easy to keep track of what’s new on the local boutique scene with so many people wanting to support their community.
Through a Child’s Eyes
Holidays and special occasions are more magical when we see children learning about them for the first time. They remind us to not take ourselves too seriously, and to find awe in simple things. Keep kids in mind with these two Jersey City holiday events:
- Jersey City’s 22nd Annual Toy Drive: On Friday, December 14 stop by City Hall to donate a new and unwrapped toy for a child. The drive collects gifts for children aged 1-12. This is a wonderful way to help out a child in need this season.
- JC Families’ Annual Holiday Party: If you’re looking for photos with Santa, a holiday train, cookie decorating and face painting look no further. This is one of Jersey City residents’ favorite holiday things to do with kids. And it’s no surprise: this celebration even has a magic show and lots of seasonal music. Don’t miss it.
So Many Ways to Celebrate
Everyone has an idea of the perfect holiday season. And once again, Jersey City has it all. The choices of ways to celebrate, ways to give and seasonal beauty are endless. So bundle up and grab some loved ones to enjoy these Jersey City holiday events this coming month.