Trail Running Near Me
Trail running has increased in popularity by leaps and bounds the past few years. Even many die-hard road racers have learned the benefits of running off the beaten path. Although running is a year-round sport for many people, fall is the perfect time to try out trail running.
What is Trail Running, Anyway?
If your interest is piqued or you’re just getting started, here’s some basics about trail running. With the right gear and preparation, you can get started in no time. This activity usually takes place on hiking trails, often in hilly or mountainous terrain. According to the International Trail Running Association, the official paved road for trail races should not exceed 20%. The terrain can vary greatly from dirt to sand or forest trails.
The Best Gear
While you don’t have to spend a ton before you hit the trails, a few key items will set you up for success.
- Get the Right Shoes - Trail sneakers will help you with traction and stability better than regular running shoes will. Other factors to consider are how much you plan on running and what kind of terrain you’ll frequently cover.
- Prepare to Hydrate - Don’t let the cooler fall weather fool you into thinking you can skip water breaks. Choose between handheld water bottles, waist packs or hydration vests. Try out a couple options when you’re just getting started.
- Clothing that Works With You - Save the cotton t-shirts for around the house. Fabrics that wick away moisture will be top picks. Merino wool or synthetic fabrics are good choices. Be sure to layer with lightweight fabrics as the weather changes.
Trail Running Near Jersey City
Athletes know that Liberty State Park and the Hudson River Waterfront are both great places to run in Jersey City. But some experts argue that running on trails is even better for your health. In order to build up your endurance in nature, here are some places just outside the city that you’ll love.
- Eagle Rock Reservation - Just 25 minutes from Jersey City, 408-acre reservation is largely undeveloped and beautiful for training on the trails. The hills will give you a workout, and the view of Manhattan will keep you coming back.
- Black River County Park Trail - These trails follow the Black River and were originally railroad lines. About an hour drive away, this is a great place to clear your head and breathe some fresh air this fall.
- Columbia Trail - One runner called this trail “heaven on earth” for its picturesque landscape of farms, forests and rock formations. Not only does it boast wide trails that are easy to share, but the area is also noted for its beautiful fall foliage.
- Flat Rock Brook Nature Preserve - 3.6 miles of trails make up this serene nature preserve loved by people of all ages. You’ll run by streams, meadows and a pond while enjoying birds and other wildlife. Well-marked trails make this an ideal spot for beginners to train.
The World of Running on the Trails
When you begin exploring a new activity, the world opens up in new ways. Connecting with other trail runners in Jersey City and beyond is the best way to improve and stay active. Check out upcoming races like the Mountain Lakes Trail Run, a great trail race for beginners. You can search by type of race for events this fall. Your motivation and energy will increase as you enjoy one of the best types of exercise around.